Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Latinos hit harder with job losses


This likely comes as no surprise, but the layoffs are happening disproportionately to Latinos and blacks, the AP reports.

These two groups are losing jobs at a faster rate than the rest of the population, partly because of the concentration of blue-collar or service-industry jobs that are evaporating in the economy's recession.

Since December 2007, Latino unemployment rose 4.7 percentage points to 10.9 percent, and black unemployment rose 4.5 percentage points to 13.5 percent. White unemployment rose 2.9 percentage points to 7.3 points in the same time period.

Read the full story here.

Source: AP

Photo: marketplace.publicradio.org

3 comments:

Sir Jorge Orduna said...

Wait a second...undocumented workers? How in the world can they even count them without deportation? This article is completely skewed and made on assumptions.

Erwin C. said...

Jorge-

Could you please clarify your complaint a bit? The article fails to directly mention undocumented laborers and aims mostly at job losses among white-collar, professional workers.

Anonymous said...

Exactly! but the image is of the blue collar worker. The write up is also dealing with blue collar. The article might not mention blue collar as a whole, but it's very skewed.

I mean, I am a web developer but never really considered myself as a "latino web developer" so if I lost my job, I wouldn't consider a loss for the latino community.

I don't know. I maybe be splitting hairs here.