Fidel’s article can be read here (in Spanish), though here are a few key translated quotes:
- The sinister idea of using food as fuel was definitely established as the economic component of
foreign policy. U.S.
- The tragedy is not in reducing energy but in the notion of converting foodstuffs into fuel.
- Give financing to poor counties to produce ethanol from corn or some other crop and there won’t be a single tree to defend humanity against global warming.
- In our country, lands that are used for alcohol production would be more suitable to produce food for the people and to protect the environment.
- All the countries of the world, rich and poor, without exception could save millions of dollars…switching all incandescent light bulbs with fluorescent bulbs, something that
has done in all homes throughout the country. Cuba
- There are other topics that can be discussed, yet I merely wish to use this article to comment on the meetings (U.S. President George W.) Bush has had with the main North American auto firms.
Links- CNN, Monsters & Critics, Reuters, The Latin Americanist, Granma
Image- BBC News