Monday August 28
Mexico’s Federal Electoral Tribunal tossed out complaints by supporters of Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador though they did not confirm Felipe Calderon as winner of ’s presidential election. Mexico
- Hurricane Ernesto blew through
after leaving two Haitians dead in its wake. Cuba ’s defense minister unexpectedly resigned from his post. Ecuador
Tuesday August 29
’s government suspended the constitutional rights in several border towns as a measure to combat crime. Guatemala
- While visiting
Syria, Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez scolded the U.S.for its role in the Middle East.
- A witness in the trial of former Haitian paramilitary leader Emmanuel Constant recalled the details surrounding her gang rape by Constant’s goons in 1994.
Wednesday August 30
- Deals were reached to halt strikes at
Peru’s biggest gold mine and ’s Escondida copper mine. Chile
- Cardinal Alfonso Lopez
Trujillodenied claims that he excommunicated doctors involved in ’s first legal abortion even though a videotaped interview signals otherwise. Colombia
judge acquiesced to the demands by several immigrant plaintiffs, including a Mexican single mother, and ordered the Bloomberg administration to stop illegally withholding aid from abused immigrants. New York City
Thursday August 31
- Peruvian presidential runner-up Ollanta Humala was formally indicted for human rights violations committed when he was a chief in the army.
- Former Argentine president Raul Alfonsin testified at the trial of an ex-police chief accused of human rights abuses during the “Dirty War” era.
Friday September 1
- Protestors including several legislators prevented Mexican president Vicente Fox from delivering his State of the Nation speech in
. Mexico City
- The female heads of state of
Chileand were named as Forbes magazine’s 100 most powerful women. Jamaica
- Guyanese electoral officials confirmed the victory of President Bharrat Jagdeo from Monday’s presidential elections.
- Cuban media shows video of a recuperating Fidel Castro meeting with his brother as well as Hugo Chavez.
Saturday September 2
Argentinafinishes the men’s world basketball championships in 4th place after losing their final two games to Spainand the U.S.
- The International Herald Tribune published an article on the discontent amongst Mercosur trading bloc states on the little voting power they have in the International Monetary fund.