* Uruguay: The senate is expected to overturn an amnesty for crimes against humanity allegedly committed by former senior officials during the 1973-85 dictatorship.
* Central America: According to the U.S. Defense Department, Central America has become one of the world’s most dangerous regions.
* Honduras: In its annual human rights report last week, the U.S. State Department blasted Honduras for a spike in “hate crimes” against the country’s LGBT population.
* Puerto Rico: Last week’s last-second deal between the White House and Congress over spending could cost Puerto Rico as much as 10% in federal aid.
* Haiti: A U.S. company blamed Cuba for the sinking of a barge carrying supplies to Haiti.
* Paraguay: A complaint was filed with the Paraguayan environmental ministry accusing two Brazilian firms of destroying nearly 9000 acres of “virgin forest.”
Image – trbunalatina.com (An estimated 2008 protesters marched in 2008 calling for the investigation of Uruguay’s "disappeared”.)
Online Sources- haitilibre.com, MSNBC, CSMonitor.com, LAHT, McClatchy, AFP