Saturday, November 27, 2010
Weekend Headlines: November 27-28, 2010
* Brazil: Police have allegedly surrounded a group of drug traffickers in a Rio de Janeiro favela after nearly one week of intense fighting and violence.
* Mexico: Did kidnappers safely release former presidential candidate Diego Fernandez de Cevallos as a Mexican newspaper claimed this morning?
* Latin America: Ecuador and Colombia agreed to reestablish diplomatic ties after two years of broken relations due to a controversial military raid on a guerilla camp.
* Haiti: The country’s presidential campaigns head into the homestretch amid reports of violence and mounting tensions.
* Costa Rica: Ex-president Oscar Arias may have to stand trial over alleged irregularities in a major mine concession.
* South America: England’s bid to host the 2018 World Cup may’ve suffered a heavy blow after South America’s soccer federation publicly backed the joint bid from Spain and Portugal.
Video Source – BBC News via YouTube
Online Sources- BBC News, MSNBC, Voice of America, Insidecostarica.com, ESPN Soccernet, CNN