* Central America: Officials in Honduras and Guatemala are closely monitoring the progress of Tropical Storm Harvey, which reached the coast of Belize earlier today.
* Latin America: The Venezuelan and Cuban governments blasted a U.S. State Department placing them on a blacklist of state-sponsored terrorism.
* Chile: The government officially recognized 9800 more victims of the dictatorship of the late strongman Augusto Pinochet.
* Nicaragua: The country’s Roman Catholic archdiocese is butting heads with President Daniel Ortega’s use of spiritual rhetoric during his reelection campaign.
* Argentina: As part of a new and “ambitious” antidrug program the state is expected to increase spending on defense.
* Cuba: A spokesperson for the Ladies in White dissident group claimed that government supporters recently harassed and assaulted them in Havana.
Image – AP via CBC News (“This NOAA satellite image taken Saturday shows clouds near Honduras associated with Tropical Storm Harvey as it moves steadily toward Belize.”)
Online Sources- MiamiHerald.com, UPI, AP, MSNBC, Voice of America, PRESS TV, Reuters