* Guatemala: A court sentenced four men to prison sentences of over 6000 years per person as punishment for participating in the Dos Erres massacre of 201 people in 1982.
* Mexico: According to the central bank remittances the amount of remittances sent to Mexico in the first six months of this year increased by 4.7% compared to the same period in 2010.
* Caribbean: Tropical Storm Emily is expected to roll through the Dominican Republic and Haiti later today.
* Colombia: A U.S. federal judge refused to dismiss the charges against an arms dealer accused of selling weapons to Colombia’s FARC guerillas.
* Honduras: Canadian immigration officials deported a man suspected of war crimes in Honduras.
* Cuba: The country’s National Assembly backed a series of economic changes including the possible shedding of up to one million public jobs.
Image – Reuters (“A woman reacts after hearing the sentence of four former soldiers convicted of war crimes at the Supreme Court in Guatemala City, August 2, 2011.”)
Online Sources- Fox News Latino, Reuters, CTV.ca, BBC News, The Guardian, Bloomberg