* Honduras: According to the Honduras Truth and Reconciliation Commission the 2009 ouster of ex-president Manuel Zelaya was an illegal coup though he previously “defied court orders” by seeking a referendum for a constitutional assembly.
* Mexico: The United Nations human rights chief added to mounting global criticism of Thursday’s execution in Texas of a Mexican national who did not receive immediate consular help as stipulated in international law.
* Cuba: The country’s Supreme Court has approved an appeal filed by imprisoned U.S. contractor and accused spy Alan Gross.
* Caribbean: Manuel Galban, a Cuban guitarist who was a member of the Buena Vista Social Club died on Thursday at the age of 80 while esteemed Puerto Rican historian Ricardo Alegria also passed away on that day.
* Chile: President Sebastian Pinera’s approval rating last month (31%) marked a new low for the man whose favorability has nosedived since the rescue of 33 miners last October.
* Latin America: The Under-17 men’s World Cup final on Sunday will be an all-Latin America affair with Uruguay facing host nation Mexico.
Image – AFP via BBC News (“The Truth Commission says Mr. Zelaya and those who ousted him bear responsibility for the coup.”)
Online Sources- Al Jazeera English, Bloomberg, CBC News, CBC Sports, CBS News, CNN, LAHT, The Latin Americanist