* Venezuela: President Hugo Chavez traveled to Cuba for chemotherapy treatment but not before delegating some of his powers to vice president Elias Jaua and finance minister Jorge Giordani.
* Uruguay: Former dictator Juan Maria Bordaberry died this morning while under house arrest for human rights abuses during his rule.
* Honduras: A local radio manager who was gunned down on Thursday became the twelfth Honduran journalist to be killed over the past eighteen months.
* South America: Saturday’s Copa America quarterfinals action produced a pair of upsets as Uruguay downed hosts Argentina via penalties while Peru capitalized on Colombia’s mistakes.
* Argentina: The Iranian government said that it would cooperate with an Argentine government probe into a 1994 Buenos Aires bombing allegedly masterminded by Iranian officials.
* Paraguay: The opposition-controlled legislature rejected a proposal that would’ve allowed President Fernando Lugo to run for reelection.
Image – AP via The Guardian (“Hugo Chavez has reassured the Venezuelan people that he is confident he will recover from his cancer.”)
Online Sources- Reuters, Huffington Post, BBC News, Reporters Without Borders, Buenos Aires Herald, UPI, The Guardian, Bloomberg