Friday, March 16, 2007

Pregnant Jamaican beauty queen quits crown

Sara Lawrence- Miss Jamaica World 2006- gave up her crown after violating pageant rules by becoming pregnant. Lawrence may have had to give up her crown should she chosen to have an abortion, yet she was steadfast in her decision to eventually give birth:

“I relinquish my position as Miss Jamaica World 2006, having taken a deeply personal decision to face up to my responsibilities as one who expects to become a mother later this year. I believe that it is my moral obligation to do what I believe to be ethically correct and will follow what I believe to be right.”

Pageant organizers released a statement expressing sympathy with Lawrence’s decision but were deeply disappointed with her getting pregnant in the first place.


Links- CNN, Jamaica Gleaner, Miss Jamaica World

Image- Go-Jamaica

No comments: