Once again, I’m publishing the weekly music post a few days late, but hopefully you won’t mind based on the theme. You see, there are a number of musicians from Latin America currently on tour in the
Note: All music files are MP3s unless otherwise stated.
- Colombian rockeros Aterciopelados are making a few appearances this month in the
In terms of this weekend, they performed last night in U.S. Miami, but they will be performing tonight at S.O.B.’s in . (Anyone have an extra ticket?) New York City
- There’s no other way to say it so let me be blunt- Gilberto Gil kicks ass! The Brazilian music legend has done an extraordinary job as the country’s Minister of Culture where his accomplishments include a campaign to promote hip-hop and spearheading the government’s use of shareware. Gil has decided to take a small break from his job in order to go on a three week tour of North America which began last Thursday in
- Manu Chao will return to the
! After a successful tour last year, the ex-frontman for Mano Negra will make a variety of appearances in the States including the Coachella and Bonnaroo music festivals. Me gustas tu, Manu! U.S.
- Though he may be best known for his film roles in “The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou” and “City of God”, Seu Jorge has some serious musical chops. The Brazilian will engage in a brief tour of North America making appearances in
cities like Toronto, San Franciscoand where he will be promoting his upcoming album. New York
- Unlike the previous acts, immigration problems may derail Rodrigo y Gabriela’s planned
tour. The Mexican duo (by way of U.S. ) had their visa renewal papers denied and this forced them to cancel several shows in the States. Unfortunately we’ll have to concur with Jennifer from VivirLatino who observed that “it looks it might be a while until we see Rodrigo y Gabriela stateside”. Ireland
- Lastly, we’re going to cheat a bit and mention classic British rockers The Who. Although preliminary reports mentioned that the group would be playing in
yesterday, The Who postponed their concert due to lead singer Roger Daltrey’s bronchitis.Bummer. Mexico City
Links- The Rhythm Foundation, S.O.B.’s, Aterciopelados.com, GilbertoGil.com.br, International Herald Tribune, Guardian UK, Canada.com, YouSendIt.com, The Latin Americanist, NY Remezcla, Manu Chao.net, SeuJorge.com, IMDB, Brooklyn Vegan, YouTube, Motel de Moka, VivirLatino, Houston chronicle, Los Anoles Daily News, The Music Slut