Monday, March 6, 2006

Bus 174

In 2000 Sandro do Nascimento hijacked a bus in Jardim Botanico no Rio de Janeiro, which was immediately swarmed with television reporters filming the event. The footage found its way into the documentary 'Bus 174', produced by Jose Padilha and Marcos Prado. Due to the many cameras trained on the bus, every minute of the 4 1/2 hour hijacking was shot from several angles. Padilha/Prado skillfully use the footage to create one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. The use of anecdotes from the hijacker's life sparked debate in Brazil and abroad on the relationship between poverty and violence. (Bus 174)


, ,

4 comments:

Taylor Kirk said...

By the way, I was shocked to see that this movie was available at Blockbuster, I originally put it in my queue but found it in the store.

Erwin C. said...

"Bus 174" is bar none one of the most intense documentaries out there, in my opinion. The questions the film brings up, such as the role of media (in their coverage of the hijacking) and the nexus between violence and poverty, make "Bus 174" so compelling.

Quick anecdote- I viewed "Bus 174" for the first time while taking a graduate class on Brazilian cinema at NYU. Usually a few of the students would leave the class early since it ended around 10.30-11pm. During the screening of "Bus 174" nobody left the auditorium and at least a third of the students there were weeping by the end of the film. Though we viewed other emotional films that semester, such as "Pixote", no film grabbed our attention as much as "Bus 174."

Taylor Kirk said...

Yes, I had heard of it but hadn't seen it until recently. After seeing it I was surprised to see how long it was because I was completely absorbed by it. I wasn't quite weeping but I had to be a big girl and hold it all in.

Anonymous said...

Kirk, you really need a wake up call! Why would you be shocked to see that this movie would be available at Blockbuster? It is so essential that movies like"BUS174" are availble all in all and any place like Blockbuster so as to enable the general public to aware about the type of issues this movies raises....