Saturday, February 25, 2012
Weekend Headlines: February 25-26, 2012
* Haiti: The U.N. urged Haitian leaders to work quickly to replace Prime Minister Garry Conille who abruptly resigned on Friday.
* Central America: A riot in the Puertas de la Esperanza prison in Nicaragua ended peacefully while Honduran President Porfirio Lobo claimed that he would pardon an inmate who “put himself at incredible risk trying to save lives” during a recent deadly prison fire.
* Brazil: The government announced plans to provide a $38 billion boost to increase ethanol output.
* U.S.: Viktor Bout, a Russian arms dealer convicted of selling weapons to Colombia’s FARC rebels, will soon be removed from solitary confinement.
* Puerto Rico: Who was responsible for leaving a military torpedo at a Puerto Rico recycling center?
* Venezuela: President Hugo Chavez underwent medical tests today in Cuba in anticipation of Monday’s surgery to a remove a possibly cancerous tumor.
Video Source – YouTube via euronews
Online Sources- AFP, LAHT, The Guardian, CNN, BBC News, MSNBC, Reuters