Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Daily Headlines: October 11, 2011
* Brazil: Sugar mills in Sao Paulo state shutdown roughly a month early as national domestic output is expected to fall for the first time in six years.
* Chile: An estimated ten thousand people marched in solidarity with the indigenous Mapuche community in a protest held on Columbus Day.
* Haiti: According to Doctors Without Borders the number of cholera cases in Port-au-Prince has nearly tripled over the past few weeks.
* Peru: President Ollanta Humala fired two-thirds of the generals in the country's national police force as part of a reported push to combat corruption.
* Puerto Rico: A former Puerto Rican health secretary could face Gov. Luis Fortuño in a gubernatorial primary.
* Uruguay: Is the small South American nation of Uruguay on the verge of becoming a “major exporter of natural gas”?
Image – Via Flickr user cliff1066
Online Sources- Bloomberg, BBC News, Mercopress, MSNBC, LAHT, UPI