Monday, January 17, 2011
Daily Headlines: January 17, 2011
* Brazil: As seen in the above video from Al Jazeera English, hundreds of people in southeastern Brazil who survived massive flooding and mudslides face an uncertain future.
* Honduras: The wild weather has also affected Honduras where authorities evacuated approximately 2000 people from coastal areas.
* Venezuela: President Hugo Chavez claimed that he would cut the period of Congressionally approved decree powers from eighteen months to possibly four.
* South America: Nasser Al-Attiyah of Qatar and Spain's Marc Coma won in the car and motorcycle categories, respectively, of the Dakar Rally that was held in Argentina and Chile.
* Peru: Ex-President Alejandro Toledo leads a crowded field of presidential hopefuls according to one recent poll.
Video Source – Al Jazeera English via YouTube
Online Sources- CNN, Los Angeles Times, Bloomberg, USA TODAY