Friday, August 29, 2008

Fat Joe bashes Daddy Yankee over McCain

Puerto Rican rapper Fat Joe bashed reggaetonero Daddy Yankee over his recent endorsement of John McCain. In remarks made to MTV News, the rapper blasted his countryman and called him a sell-out after his appearance with the presumptive GOP presidential nominee:

"I opened the newspaper and got sick to my stomach," Joe continued. "I felt like I wanted to vomit when I seen that. The reason why I called him a sellout is because I feel he did that for a [publicity] look, rather than the issues that are affecting his people that look up to him. How could you want John McCain in office when George Bush and the Republicans already have half a million people losing their homes in foreclosure? We're fighting an unjust war. It's the Latinos and black kids up in the frontlines, fighting that war…

I feel real disgusted that Daddy Yankee would do that. Either he did that for a look, or he's just not educated on politics"…

"If he believes John McCain is the better candidate for the Latinos," Joe said, "we could sit down. Even if he wants to get into a debate, we can debate anywhere — New York, Puerto Rico."

While Democratic nominee Barack Obama wowed over 82,000 followers with his acceptance speech last night in Denver, McCain is preparing to announce who his running mate will be.

Image- MTV.com

Sources- contactmusic.co.uk, MTV News, NPR, Reuters, The Latin Americanist

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently did a post on the whole Fat Joe/Daddy Yankee/John McCain thing and honestly as insane as it sounds, I think it's Daddy Yankee's right to endorse whoever he wants and I don't think anyone should be critical of it the way Fat Joe is. Some may say Daddy Yankee has a strong Latino fan base who he owes it to to not back someone like McCain but he Daddy Yankee's vote is his own and I think Fat Joe should keep his comments to himself and just make sure he and everyone he knows votes on election day.