Monday, March 24, 2008

Today’s Video: “One-hit Wonders” - Martika

This week’s video theme will look at Hispanic musicians that can be classified as “one-hit wonders.” These types of artists enjoyed mainstream success with a high-charting tune yet most of them were unable to sustain such success. Being a “one-hit wonder” is usually seen in a negative light, though keep in mind that such acclaimed musicians as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Iggy Pop have only had one song break the Billboard Top 40 chart.

Today we’re showing “Toy Soldiers” from pop musician Martika. That song from the Cuban-American musician was from her eponymous 1989 album and it reached the #1 spot on the Top 40 Singles chart. In 2004, the song was sampled by rapper Eminem for his tune “Like Toy Soldiers.”





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me llamo Juan. Y me llaman John. Mi appellido es Maldonado.

Y en mi corazon, no otra mujer entra solamente Martika.

It would be nice if around my way, there were more women allot like Martika who I can hang out with.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a computer person. I wanted to say Whatsup to Martika someway.
I didn't know how the post will come out. It reads DEBRA HOYT said....

What it is, is that, I am using someones computer.

My name is John, and I said,
Nobody can replace Martika from my heart. And that it would be nice if there were allot of women allot like Martika, around my way.