Friday, January 4, 2013
Daily Headlines: January 4, 2013
* Argentina: British Prime Minister David Cameron rejected Argentinian president Cristina Fernandez' latest push for Argentine sovereignty over the disputed Falkland Islands.
* Puerto Rico: In his inauguration speech on Wednesday new governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla vowed to fix Puerto Rico's economic woes and combat the island's high crime rates.
* Chile: The widow of folk singer Victor Jara called on the U.S. government to extradite a former Chilean military official charged with murdering her husband in 1973.
* Haiti: The Haitian government is none too pleased with the recent strengthening of travel warnings by the U.S. and Canada to the Caribbean country.
* Ecuador: Legislators approved granting President Rafael Correa a month-long leave of absence in order for him to campaign for a third straight term in office.
* Bolivia: A pair of Spanish-owned electricity distribution companies became the latest utility firms nationalized by President Evo Morales.
Video Source: YouTube via euronews
Online Sources: ABC News, BBC News, Al Jazeera English, Caribbean Journal, BusinessWeek, Huffington Post