Saturday, April 7, 2012
Weekend Headlines: April 7-8, 2012
* Colombia: Authorities are on high alert over the possibility that renewed activity in the Nevado de Ruiz volcano could soon lead to an eruption.
* Mexico: Three men pleaded guilty to charges related to the botched gun-smuggling operation from the U.S. to Mexico known as “Operation Fast and Furious.”
* Latin America: Monsanto reported a boost in its latest quarterly profits in part due to increased sales of genetically modified seeds in Latin America.
* Guatemala: According to the head of a local NGO, a “lack of sex education…and impunity for statutory rape” are partly to blame for a rise in the number of teen pregnancies.
* Peru: President Ollanta Humala claimed that the Shining Path rebels have been "totally defeated" in its traditional stronghold of the Alto Huallaga Valley.
* Brazil: The BRICS bloc of emerging economic nations that includes Brazil appears to be leaning towards U.S. candidate Jim Yong Kim for the World Bank presidency.
Image Source – Flickr via chilangoco (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Online Sources- Huffington Post, Chicago Tribune, IPS, BBC News, BusinessWeek, Reuters