Saturday, December 24, 2011
Weekend World Watch: Holiday Spirit
* Israel: Over 120,000 pilgrims and tourists are estimated to have gathered in Bethlehem in order to celebrate Christmas.
* Libya: For the first time since 1969 Libya will publicly celebrate its day of independence, which was sixty years ago on this date.
* Russia: Tens of thousands of protesters rallied in several Russian cities calling for new parliamentary elections and the resignation of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
* North Korea: Kim Jong Un was named as the "supreme leader of the revolutionary armed forces" days after the death of his father, former ruler Kim Jong Il.
* India: A court ordered that 22 Internet companies, including Google and Facebook, remove “objectionable content” from their websites.
* Nigeria: At least 68 people were killed as a result of clashes between police and “Islamic militant group Boko Haram.”
Video Source – YouTube via Al Jazeera English
Online Sources – Voice of America, BBC News, ABC Online, USA TODAY, PC World, The Guardian