Thursday, May 21, 2009

Today’s Video: “My Family/Mi Familia”

We end our look this week at Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and its “RACE AND HOLLYWOOD: LATINO IMAGES IN FILM” series” with 1995’s “My Family/Mi Familia”.

“My Family/Mi Familia” was co-written and directed by Gregory Nava whose primary claim to fame was 1983’s immigration tale “El Norte”. “My Family/Mi Familia” tells the saga of a Mexican-American family over three generations and stars a treasure trove of Latino actors including Edward James Olmos, Jimmy Smits, Esai Morales, and Jennifer Lopez.

According to TCM’s synopsis of “My Family/Mi Familia”:
Jimmy Smits, who plays troubled son Jimmy, loved making My Family. “From the beginning, My Family was a movie I knew I had to make,” said Smits in 1995. “My Family is one of the very few films with an entirely Latino cast and Latino director, and all of us working on it felt it would be a real breakthrough.” His attraction to the story had to do with its epic quality. “I like the span of the piece in terms of going from the early times of when California was part of Mexico and really seeing the family go through the 50s and the 80s,” he said. “This is a multi-generational piece. In that respect the piece to me is like a jewel.”
Here’s a clip from the film where Esai Morales pretends to be the Pied Piper of mambo:

Online Sources- Turner Classic Movies, YouTube, Wikipedia, The Latin Americanist

No comments: