Monday, March 5, 2007

RBD member comes out of the closet

Christian Chavez (image) publicly announced he was gay after a gossip website revealed photos of his 2005 marriage to a Canadian hair stylist. Chavez apologized to his fans in a message he posted on RBD’s message board, and admitted that he would have kept his sexual status secret had it not been for the publication of his wedding photos:

“I don't want to keep on lying and lie to myself because of fear. I feel bad for not having shared this with all my fans before, as they are the ones that worry and it is because of them that I decided to be honest… (The photographs) show a part of me, a part that I was not prepared to speak of in fear of rejection, of criticism, but especially for my family and its consequences. Although I'm scared and filled with uncertainty I know that I can rely on the support of my fans. Their love is bigger than all of this. I ask them from the bottom of my heart, not to judge me for being honest and to feel proud of who they are and never make the same mistake I did. Tolerance to diversity!”

According to the Associated Press, Mexican fans are mixed at Chavez’ admission of his homosexuality though it is unknown if Chavez’ words will slow down the RBD juggernaut that has seen them become one of Latin pop music’s top groups. (Normally I would support any reason to stop RBD, but I really hope Chavez’ homosexuality doesn’t become one of those reasons.)


Links- Arizona Star, Hollywood.com, contactmusic.com, stuff.co.nz, VivirLatino

Image- TV Guide

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the flaming pink hair wasn't a clue for anyone...? Does gaydar not function south of the Rio Grande?

Erwin C. said...

Perhaps their gaydar was off much like U.S. and British fans of Wham! & George Michael when he came out of the closet.

the important part is that neither RBD's and/or Christian Chavez' career doesnot go down the drain due to his admission of his homosexuality. (on the other and I would relish RBD's downfall based on their annoyingly sugary pop pablum or their pretty boy/girl image!)

Anonymous said...

The basic gravity of the situation is that Christian Chavez RBD has emerged from the closet. His group is worshiped by millions of kids in Mexico, Center and south America including millions of Spanish speakers in the U.S. Canada and throughout the world. In these groups of millions are hundred of thousands who have had no one to identify with because they are gay.

Christian Chavez and RBD can turn this around and save possibly save hundreds of gay youth from suicide because of low self esteem though out Latin American.

DonPato
GayMexicoNetwork

Erwin C. said...

Chavez can certainly be an example for the gay community in the Americas, though that depends a lot on whether he is willing to take such a role. His statement seemed to embrace it ("Tolerance is diversity!") and at the same time shun it (he was unhappy that his wedding photos became public). Hopefully he will be responsible about this whole affair when all is said and done.