Thursday, March 19, 2009

Another Fujimori to the Peruvian presidency?

Could Keiko Fujimori follow her dad’s footsteps to the Peruvian presidency? That could be a very real possibility according to a pair of recent polls.

As reported by Living in Peru, a survey conducted by Ipsos Apoyo found that Keiko was favorite to be president in 2011. The 33-year-old daughter of disgraced ex-president Alberto Fujimori was tied for first with 19% support. Another poll by Católica University found her in the top three picks for the presidency.

Alberto is currently under trial on murder and kidnapping charges related to his presidency in the 1990s. Despite the infamy surrounding him, Keiko has taken full advantage of his political base. She is currently a congresswoman having run in a party loyal to her father whose primary goal is to get him absolved of his conviction for arms smuggling.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Keiko explained briefly why she should be president:
I assumed my first public charge when I became part-time first lady at 19 years old after my parents divorced. I have experience in social projects and a great aptitude for public service. If I can help my country, I will do it.
Image- RPP
Online Sources- Los Angeles Times, Living in Peru, MSNBC, Xinhua

No comments: