Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Children to Obama: Halt parents' deportations

Lawyers representing over 600 children of immigrant parents filed a lawsuit against the Obama administration.

In a press conference held yesterday, representatives for pro-immigrant group American Fraternity claimed that they filed the lawsuit in order to halt the deportations of undocumented parents. "Children continue to suffer by being separated from their parents because of deportations that the President may be able to suspend", said the executive director of the organization.

It’s been reported that the children represented in the lawsuit are all U.S. citizens and most are of Latino background. Two of them-whose parents were originally from Nicaragua- have even taken the extreme measure of going on a hunger strike:
Cecia Sosa, 12, and her brother Ronald, 9, said Tuesday they had initiated a hunger strike to prevent their mother from being deported on the scheduled date, which is (on Wednesday).

“We’re doing a hunger strike to help my mom get out of jail,” a sobbing Cecia told The Associated Press. “I would do whatever it takes to get my mommy out… I want Obama to see me to help my mother.” The girl said she had only ingested liquids in the previous 24 hours.

The children’s mother, Maricela Sosa –who entered the U.S. on foot from Mexico in 1997–, was detained at the family’s Pompano Beach, Fla., home on Dec. 19. She had just taken Cecia to the school bus stop when Immigration officers took her away.
American Fraternity had previously filed a lawsuit against the Bush administration and that case was thrown out by the Supreme Court. Yet as one lawyer with the group noted, the lawsuit intends to reverse changes made to immigration policy in 1996 that hurt children whose parents were illegal immigrants.

Image- BBC Mundo
Online Sources- Feet in 2 Worlds, Houston Chronicle, New America Media, 20minutos.es, BBC Mundo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing is stopping the kids from going home with their parents

Anonymous said...

Your right, nothing stops them from AMERICANS out of their country! I am in situation, I am 35 yrs and have done everything in my power to keep my family together. My husband is facing deportation, al tough he has been a LEGAL LAW ABIDING RESIDENT FOR THE PAST 9 YRS. He wanted to become a US Citizen and not only was he denied, but is facing deportation. So, is OK for my children to live without a father because the judge cannot take this into consideration? Is it OK the for Government to force me to be a single mother? He will be leaving 3 US citizens behind. I have no rights as a US CITIZEN?