Monday, July 7, 2008

Ingrid Betancourt – the movie?

The tale of recently freed Colombian hostage Ingrid Betancourt could soon be shown on the silver screen according to AFP. The report cites Colombia’s RCN who claimed that a film based on her rescue along with 14 other hostages will be produced "jointly by a Hollywood production company and under RCN-Cine supervision." (Perhaps Meryl Streep could play Betancourt while her eldest son Lorenzo can be played by Zac Efron?)

What about other forms of entertainment? Over the weekend Betancourt admitted that she has plans to write a play based on her time in captivity. In remarks made to Le Journal du Dimanche:

"I shall return to Colombia in a few days. Meanwhile I want to see France, all of France. But I also want to be alone with my children ... I want to give this time to my family, to the father of my children whom I adore, who fought an extraordinary fight for me."

Asked whether she would write a book about her experience, she replied: "I'll write a play."

In other developments:

  • Colombia’s government denied reports from Switzerland that a $20 million ransom had been secretly paid to guerilla captors and has even accused a Swiss diplomat of funding the FARC.
  • While Betancourt has been open in her praise of Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, she also warned him and others to “change the radical, extremist vocabulary of hate” they engage against the guerillas.
  • Could Betancourt receive the next Nobel Peace Prize? Chilean President Michelle Bachelet will try to make it so.
  • “There were daily incidents and conflicts” among hostages including the threat of sexual abuse against Betancourt according to former hostage who spent four years in captivity at Betancourt’s side.
  • Lastly, the following is video from the Colombian government (as reported by Al Jazeera English) of the operation to free the hostages:

Sources- CNN, ABS-CBN News Online, Canadian Press, azcentral.com, AFP, YouTube, the Telegraph, ABC News Online

2 comments:

Miguel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miguel said...

I heard that online Che t-shirt sales are soaring since last week - anyone know how to check this?