Monday, July 24, 2006

Mercosur summit ends with Hugo and Fidel stealing the limelight

The summit of the Mercosur trading bloc ended on Friday with the heads of Venezuela and Cuba garnering the most attention. Cuban dictator Fidel Castro made a surprise appearance and took advantage of the visit to hobnob with Hugo Chavez. Aside from all the hoopla surrounding Castro and Chavez, the summit ended with member states agreeing to better economic integration as well as supporting Venezuela’s bid for a U.N. Security Council seat. (Image shows the presidents of Uruguay and Argentina talking over dinner Thursday night.)

, ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Venezuela's Hugo "Mini-Me" Chavez and Fidel "Dr. Evil" Castro, they should be shark food.

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Hi, I would be interested in linking you to my regional integration blog: http://regionswatch.blogspot.com. If you are also interested in subscribing to issues on regional integration worldwide, pls let me know: power2regions@yahoo.co.uk.

You might see on that blog that MERCOSUR issues are something I ensure I cover quite regularly. Nice blog!

Erwin C. said...

Thanks emmanuel and !ya no mas! for your comments.

!ya no mas!: I happened to check out your blog and I noticed a lot of anti-Chavez and anti-Castro rhetoric. The banner at the top of your page says in bold letters "Dictators Suck Ass!" and shows mostly leftist and Communist leaders from the past century. With that said, could you please explain if you have the same virulent reaction towards anti-Communist dictators like José Efraín Ríos Montt or Francois Duvalier.

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

erwin, for a second, I t hought you were talking about my blog;-(

were you able to check it out? what do you think abt my proposal to join the list-serv?

Erwin C. said...

Sorry for the confusion, Emmanuel. You have a very interesting blog, though I will not join the list serve since I prefer to read and analyze blogs at my own leisure. I hope you understand

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Erwin, sure: I do! I'm like that, too. If ever you change your mind, you know where my blog is;-) You can read more about RegionsWatch on WIKIPEDIA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regionswatch